There are many varieties of rujak, Indonesian fruit salad. Below is the version that uses thick and sweet palm sugar sauce as shown on the plate at the bottom of the picture.
• 100 gram palm sugar (gula Jawa), shaved
• 10 gr tamarind flesh mixed with 3 tbs drinking water, strained
• 2 bird's eye chilies. Omit this if you do not like the hot taste.
• 2 long red chilies. Omit this if you do not like the hot taste.
• Few slices of black-stem Musa balbisiana banana (pisang klutuk, pisang batu) that contains seeds, as shown in the picture on the left side. Since this is an Indonesian specialty and hard to find, it is optional.
• 1/2 tsp shrimp paste (terasi). If you are vegetarian, you can omit this.
• 1/2 tsp salt
There are many kinds of fruits that can be used for rujak:
• Ambarella (kedondong)
• Mango, preferably the unripe sour mango
• Raw sweet potato
• Water apple (jambu air)
• You even can use different kinds of apple
• Blend the sauce in a food processor into a thick sticky liquid.
• Wash and cut the assorted fruits and arrange them on a plate.
* Pour the sauce onto the fruits. Serve.